Wednesday, April 04, 2007

So Tired...

Ok, I know I never told the wedding story. The short if it is that I got drunk. Really drunk. I was on nomihodai (all-you-can-drink) from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM at various places, and I pretty much had a drink in my hand the whole time. The only break I had was when I had to do our little skit for the wedding. I also got a lovely gift bag at the end!

But anyway, in the meantime I've been going through the end of the Japanese school year as well as spending Spring Break in Thailand. Not much to tell about Thailand really, it's become ultra touristy, especially since the tsunami. Places have had to throw themselves 200% into the tourism industry because it's the best way for them to rebuilt, but it seems to be coming at the cost of their own culture/private lives. We stayed in Ao Nang, a small town on the beach which seemed like a miniature Cancun. It's been westernized/resortitized (I made that word up) to the point where I couldn't distinguish what country I was in, and that bugs me as an Anthropologist. The only Thai people around were the waiters/waitresses, aggressive Tuk Tuk (taxish thing) drives and store owners selling designer rip-offs. While the place was nice, aesthetically, I couldn't help but feel a little depressed there. Anyways, I digress.

I'm still a little jet lagged as we're preparing to start the new school year. My favorite teacher (and one of only two English teachers at the school) left so I've felt a little out of the loop so far. The new English teacher seems pretty cool, but I've been having trouble getting to know him so far. There have been other changes in addition to the new crop of teachers. A lack of available personnel has forced the school to put some extra responsibility on me. I almost had to become a homeroom teacher, but instead I've just become an adviser to the new first year students. This means I've been having to attend meetings and work very late into the night trying to get everything prepared for the kiddies. They've also given me 7 additional classes to teach during the week. All this adds up to me actually having to work at school from now on, a concept I'm not very familiar with...

Anyway, this entry seems even more unfocused and ranting than most, so I guess I'll end it. Big shout out to Dan who just got accepted into the JET Program. Good luck, you'll need it! Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

1 Comments:

At 9:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss out on the weddings? I don't know, but the extra work thing does kinda scare me.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home